Monday 25 March 2024

From Rotterdam To Ruislip

Wealdstone 1 v Kidderminster Harriers 1 
National League (Step 1) 
Saturday 23 March 2024 
Ground Tick #481 

I've stared into something there.

Not quite sure what. Maybe I've stared into the abyss. Maybe I've stared into a parallel universe. But, more likely I've stared into my own soul. And deep.

Readers of this Blog will know we don't go in for nostalgia ‘round these parts. We look at what we're doing. Not what we've done.

“Interesting spin, Phil. Given that the main schtick of this Blog is you've DONE 481 grounds.”

The portal through which I stared was my (now) Wealdstone supporting mate, Craig.

I've explained this previously. Before I was elected a Capo in the Carrier Bag Firm, I was in a firm called The Horrendous Lemons. Indeed, I still am a Horrendous Lemon. And I've been a Lemon a lot longer than I've been a Bagger.

The Horrendous Lemons were/are a loose grouping of traveling England fans. I myself was not violent. But I was Horrendous. I claim that chaos.

He'll understand when I say it. But, Craig was one of the most Horrendous of the Horrendous. No off switch. Craig was Tottenham. During a particular period of Horrendous-osity, one of the Chelsea Lads had to take him aside and read him the Riot Act.

“Craig. Slow it down. Row it back. There's no need for that. We. Are. Not. The. Enemy.”

Craig pondered the situation, and the advice he'd been given.

“Come on Chelsea. Who fucking wants it?”

The Horrendous-ers Horrendous.

Anyway. Craig and I can't quite work out where we lost each other. We think the last joint outing of our Horrendous Hats was Netherlands v England, Rotterdam, 1993. Lost in Lager. Brothers in Booze.

But, I know where and when we re-found each other. 2 August 2023. Call it 30 years. Olympia. CAMRA Great British Beer Festival. Both wearing Lacostes. We'd both got to the same place.

Craig and I have been on different journeys since Rotterdam 1993. But, here we both are. On our way to a non league game. Via a craft beer bar. Where we will both be drinking halves.

“So we can try as many as possible.”

In our own way, we will each record the beer we've drunk.

“Because we don't want to have one we've had before.”

During the day, we will discuss how many hop varieties are named after New Zealand rivers, debate how you get Hop Oils to give a distinctive aroma to beer, and count the most ground ticks we've done in a single day.

Unwittingly, Craig asks what the Carrier Bag Firm is.

Silly Fucker. He is CBF. And he doesn't know it.

Rotterdam to Ruislip. 1993 to 2024. Same place to same place. Via different routes. I've stared at Craig. And I've seen my own soul. And I like it.

Hop & Vine
18 High St, Ruislip HA4 7AN

Revisit. Harriers in there before us. Salute. Beers on the board. Gravity Cask and Keg Nozzles in the cool room. Simple system. Beer goes off. You wait. While another one replaces it. And is correctly chalked up.

Four on Keg. Four on Cask when we arrived. Lost in chat. But I think there were more on when we left than when we arrived.

Jiddler’s Tipple (London), Superdelic New Zealand Pilsner on Keg at 4.5%

I didn't order that. But, he got mixed up and brought that out by mistake. By honest mistake.

“Don't worry. What is it? I'll have it. I'm going to drink them all anyway. All you've done is fuck up in which order.”

Round Corner Brewing (Melton Mowbray), Follow The Green Line, NZ Pale Ale on Keg at 4.9%

Deffo the Outstanding Beer Of The Day. Riwaka, Superdelic, Nelson Sauvin and Rakau. Some fucking rivers in there Boy. 

I haven't seen Craig for a long while. But, I ain't seen Marcus Dewhurst for a bit either. Marcus is now goalkeeper at Wealdstone.

If you've been following the narrative, you'll know Marcus has been a Blog favourite. Came through the Sheffield United Academy system. England Yoooof. Great keeper. Unconventional at times. Trooper swearer. Unconventional at times. Great backstory about him being in Hull City's system - as an outfield player, not a keeper. That backstory, of course, essentially not true. 

We ain't got the Stats. We judge Academy players by the width of the smile they put on our faces. Harry Boyes. Louie without the s Marsh. King Kurt Havenhand. Marcus Fucking Dewhurst.

Pulled off the admission fee worth save on 70 minutes. The Carrier Bag Firm (ie Craig) went home happy.

Oh. If you're reading this Greg. Good to see you an’ all mate. “Thanks” for the feedback about the non-existent Blog of the 5-0 v Villa. Maybe next time!!!

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.


You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,397 games in 3,504 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment