Monday 15 April 2024

Reciprocal Or We Riot

Essex 421 for 6 
v Kent 
County Championship Division One 
Friday 12 April 2024 (Day One) 
Played at Chelmsford 

Today. I come to praise Essex. This season, Yorkshire tell that my Membership with them gives me reciprocal rights of one sort of another at TEN of the other seventeen Counties.

The claim for Essex was that I'd be granted free entry to the ground. And be allowed access to the Essex Members area. But, please tell me you'd feel like I felt. Free entry. With a random Yorkshire County Cricket Club membership card.

“How the fuck is that going to work in real time?”

“I'll count myself lucky if they've sorted me out before Lunch. Tea seems more likely. Fingers crossed it's before Close of Play.”

But. No eyelashes batted. Couldn't have been easier. Gateman knew what I was talking about. And pointed me to the ticket shed. They checked an A4 laminate stuck to the wall to confirm that Yorkshire was a reciprocal.

We were given conventional paper tickets allowing us into the ground. Those clearly said we could go into the Members area. The guy scanning the ticket was nice & friendly. Bid us have a good day, and hopes Yorkshire will be back in the First Division next season.

Having been on the receiving end of “The Headingley Experience”, I wish any Essex Member trying to get reciprocal in LS6 - good fucking luck.

First objective in any County ground, particularly one where we're allowed into the Members - check the compared to Yorkshire metrics.

Four.

Four Cask Ales on, front and centre, in the bar. Compared to none at Yorkshire.

And, there was one Keg Craft-a-Like.

Greene King, Spring Break, Golden Ale on Cask at 4.4%

Look. In a sports ground, in England, you are only really gonna get beers from the big brewing concerns. So, here, it's Greene King. This one is from their Future Brewers series. I understand they let people on the National Brewing Apprenticeship Programme have a go. And they've had a shot at a Hoppy golden ale. Drinkable. But not great.

Greene King, Level Head, IPA on Keg at 4%

So. We thought we'd have a go at this Greene King Craft-a-Like. Same point. Decent enough for an English sports venue.

Dean Elgar & Matt Critchley both scored day one Centuries for Essex. Having been just 10 for 2, that was a great climb back. 

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.


You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,410 games in 3,524 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment