Sunday 21 July 2024

Everything I Could Dream Of

VfB Einheit zu Pankow 4 v SG Blankenburg 1 
Exer Pokal 
Monday 15 July 2024 
Played at Tesch Sportplatz, Berlin 
Ground Tick #500 
German Beer Ticks up to #155 

I'd been wondering from some way out what my 500th Ground Tick would be. Would it be something spectacular I could engineer? The Yerevan Derby? Would it be a Sheffield United tick? I'll let you into a secret. Chris Wilder told the Carrier Bag Firm face-to-face that United would be sending a team to play VfL Bochum.

Off screen narrator…

“Fucking No. Not back to fucking Germany…”

Would away at Bochum be my 500th?.(BTW the CBF are pretty sure that game can't happen now).

Would my 500th be a farce? No beer in the ground. Just a Greene King pub half a mile away. Nil Nil.

As England stayed deeper into the EUROs, and German Ground Ticks opened up, it became clear that I'd just have to take it like a man. When 500 come, she come. Be careful what you wish for.

In the event, everything I could have dreamed of.

“A great craft beer brewery bar just down the road from the ground.”

“Beer in the Ground KLAXON. And it was a Tick. My 155th.”

“I met a lovely German guy, Kim (surely the most Un-German name ever), the next time I find myself in Essen, he's hosting at Rot-Weiss. And we're going to get at it.”

Everything I dreamed of. Low. Key.

Bräugier BrewPub
Stubbenkammerstraße 6, 10437 Berlin

I couldn't quite tell, but I think the Brewery was out the back. Through the door marked - Privat. The brewery and bar staff seemed distinctly multi national. (American) English, Italian and German being spoken in rotation.

Crucially, at 5pm, they didn't mind me singing along, at the top of my voice, to the playlist. New Order as you're asking.

“We're like Crystal. We break easy…”

“Hoo Hoo”

Eleven on.

Bräugier Craftbier, Live And Let Live Cryo, Cryo Hazy IPA on Keg at 5.6%

Temporarily, we move into NoLagerPhase. Thick & chewy. I got a big bitter hit at the back o' me gizzard. Slightly anesthetic. Great beer.

Bräugier Craftbier, Poor But Hoppy, West Coast IPA on Keg at 5.7%

There was an abv and Hop souped up “American” version of this on the board as well. I went for “the classic”. I always catch myself thinking “what are Westies supposed to taste like”. And here we are, the Eastie Boys on a Westie. I loved that. Simple. Uncomplicated. Tobacco bitterness. Centennial, Simcoe, and Columbus Hops.

Bräugier Craftbier, Science Projekt: V1.1 Milk Stout, on Nitro at 4.7%

Maybe a bit thin in the mouth. And comes across as not Milkee enough.

The Exer Pokal appears to be a short ten team pre season tournament for local way down the pyramid teams. All played at the Tesch Sportplatz. 4g. €2 to get in. Big end wall of a building down one side. Union Berlin graffiti on that. And, a very pertinent political question;

“Warum Hunger?”

And. There was a beer tick over there on the far side.

Berliner Kindl Schultheiss Brauerei, Schultheiss Pilsener at 5%

Me n Kim are now Futbology Friends.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at
www.ball-sup.blogspot.com

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.



You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,459 games in 3,618 days 


No comments:

Post a Comment