Thursday 23 March 2023

THE SIGNAL Wins It

Sheffield United 3 v Blackburn Rovers 2 
FA Cup 6th Round 
Sunday 19 March 2023 
SUFC 2022/23 Game #54 

Some people suggesting that the Carrier Bag Firm will have taken that oh so important game ultra seriously. And, will not have descended into their piss taking worst.

Wrong.

To start you off. Here's a picture, albeit with a bit of "he's further away" perspective, of Anel Ahmedhodžić & his carefully selected mascot. Proof positive that this great football club are improving. Not long ago, that mascot (shirt name Bradshaw) would have been allocated to the smallest, shortest United starter. Embarrassing both the mascot and the player. Not anymore, the current policy is for size appropriate player/mascot match ups.

Fucking close run thing, mind.

Wes & his little fella looking more comfortable I feel.
I'm a season ticket holder in the Bramall Lane Upper Corner. Binned out of there so some Up For The Cup Rover can get at it. So, I snaffled some South Stand Centre ticket from where I took that Mascot Match Up photo. That seat also gave me a great view of THE SIGNAL.

United decided to throw Billy Sharp in on 70. Two one down for the previous ten minutes at that point. Twenty (plenty) left to go for it. That sub required a reshuffle to a back four, with Jack Robinson hooked. Incidentally, when Heckingbottom wants to do that, my instinct says get Lowe off, move Robinson to conventional left back.

Anyway, (review the footage if you have any concerns), Heckingbottom felt the reshuffle needed a longer word with the players on the touchline. So, he ordered Matt Duke to deploy THE SIGNAL.

Only obeying orders, Matt deployed THE SIGNAL. (He deployed it poorly in my opinion as he had to shout to Foderingham in order for him to look at THE SIGNAL). Upon receiving THE SIGNAL, Wes sits on the turf just outside the box "needing treatment". Adam Davies, who can see THE SIGNAL from behind Matt, knows his role in this charade. He gets off the bench to do the stretches & chorus line kicks.

Meanwhile, Marcus Dewhurst, sat in the South Stand down in front of me is thinking;

"Is this it, is this for real, am I getting a shot at the bench next time out?"

"No Marcus, it was just THE SIGNAL I'm afraid"

So. Hecky gives his instructions to the mass ranks on the touchline. Wes gets a sit down. Adam puts unnecessary effort in. And, it's easy to say - THE SIGNAL worked. What a last twenty. Blackburn did their subs on 80. Oli Mc scored straight away. The Carrier Bag Firm oracles were at it;

"These can't fucking win now, They've put their defensive subs on, They can't fucking win it from here."

And, that TED talk also worked as Doyle T won it in time added on due to THE SIGNAL. Look I've grassed my own club up there for Dark Arts. No, I'm not going to make it worse by explaining what THE SIGNAL is. Suffice to say - it's fucking obvious.

What a Cup Tie. The CBF love Cup Ties. I celebrated with;

Abbeydale Brewery brewed in Collab with Sheffield Beer Week & Indie Beer Feast, Cloud Peak, Juicy West Coast Pale (is that a fucking thing now?) on Keg at 4.8%. Citra, Cascade and Mosaic.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.





You can find me on Social Media
Twitter @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 
Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,223 games in 3,134 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment