Thursday 12 July 2018

Trying to be clever

Stocksbridge Park Steels 1 v Sheffield United XI 5
(Billed as First Team)

Pre Season Friendly

Friday 6 July 2018

SUFC 2018/19 Game 1

Twitter @ball_sup
www.twitter.com/ball_sup
Untappd ball_sup

Forgive me. I have sinned. It has been seven days since my last Blog. I've tried to be clever. I've got a ticket to see England in the World Cup Final. So, I've waited in order to make some “humorous” point. Along the lines of - “my pre season this time around has been MINUS NINE DAYS”. My last game of 2017/18 could have been the World Cup Final on 15 July. Long after my first game of 2018/19 on 6 July. Laugh now. Point made. Didn't happen.

What we've learned is that Wilder has a tried & trusted way. Full squad. 45 minutes for the first mob. Switcherroonee. 45 minutes for the second mob. Don't read too much into who plays with who. Start some rumours about some who are not here (Ched Evans, might be going out on loan). Give some reassurances about others who are not here (Coutts, no worries, still getting back to top top form).

Some years, there are new signings to marvel at. This time around that was just shotstopper Dean Henderson. Who is on loan from Manchester United. Let's have it right, he didn't have a lot to do. It's not a popular view. But, I'm just glad to have got another day nearer death without a new signing, who is no better than what we've already got, and who is blocking one of the Academy Lads. This Announce Announce Announce climate is unhealthy.

So, we might as well have a word about the youngsters who featured in the 22. Tyler Smith had a go up top. And scored. Regan Slater & Harvey Gilmour each had a go in midfield. The one I'm most intrigued by is Rhys Norrington-Davies. Obvs, I've seen a lot of him. And, liked the look of him. But, it's surprised me a bit how he's become right at the top of the Academy pecking order. Effectively him & Slater now training with the first team. If you believe the propaganda. He does seem to have changed a bit physically. Maybe just taller & leaner. He set up as left of a back three. Very involved. Did his bits.

But. Well. Hhhmmm. Know your place young man. With a different XI each half, there were no real Subs. So poor old Rhys (and Slater) had to come out & sit on the bench for the second half. In case someone took a knock. Lo. Jake Wright did. Rhys had to fucking go out & put another shift in. (Sniggers).

That game coincided with the strength-to-strength Sunfest Beer Festival at The Rising Sun. (Organised by Abbeydale Brewery). When I wandered down there before opening & before noon the day after, a coach from Hull was just pitching out. It's that sort of Festival now. Marked on calendars.

My “Beer of the Festival” was…
Turning Point, Vision Quest, American IPA on cask at 7%. I'm going through a bit of a cask high abv IPA phase at the moment. Which is not necessarily a good thing. This one was strong n serious. Thick n chewy. Very fruity, rich, but nothing sweet about it, bitterness. Doesn't try to do too much ... & benefits.

We're off...

679/1417

No comments:

Post a Comment