Monday 21 January 2019

Underground Blades

Swansea City 1 v Sheffield United 0
The Championship
Saturday 19 January 2019

SUFC 2018/19 Games 61

2018/19 Football Season Brewery Visits - 81

Twitter @ball_sup
www.twitter.com/ball_sup
Untappd ball_sup

Boss Brewing Co has an advantage. But, I'll be corrected. The closest microbrewery tap room to a football stadium. And, I'm including the in, out, shake it into administration and all about The Sentinel on Shoreham Street. Part of the advantage is that you can see The Liberty Stadium just across the roundabout & car park. Down there in the dip. AnyRoadUp, if you know of a microbrewery closer to a ground, come at me. I need to visit.

It was reasonably Blades Affirming as we quick marched it from the away end to Boss after the whistle. We were roughly the first in. Select seat in potentially quiet corner, bag seat, approach bar. But, as the evening progressed, little group after little group of LMBs (Like Minded Blades) came in, little nod, select seat. Oh, and a drunk, shouty, singy, life n soul of any party Blade - you know who you are…..

It sometimes seems a bit odd & underground. Saturday teatime, on the Tele, miles to get there, young 'uns in the ground all - “Swansea's a Shithole, I want to go home”. Yet, nice dribs & pleasant drabs of “other Blades” can't wait to get in the brewery across the way. Salute. (Salute to the young 'uns an’ all).

I have actually been in Boss before. And, I had some of their beers in Swansea town. Partly, they've got it going on. Modern branding. Modern styles. But, after that weekend, I'm less of a fan. It all seems a bit safe. LagerALike, Blonde, Stout, Alleged IPA. I found the IPA in particular very harsh & out of kilter.

Move on. I took my season's brewery visits to 81. In one of them, I had the undoubted Outstanding Beer Of The Trip. The Pilot Brewery out at The Pilot (Of Mumbles). Pilot Gold, on cask at 4.4%. Just excellent. The balance of flavours was spot on. There was a good deal of bitterness - which I like. But, it just seemed a perfect recipe. I defy anyone to not like that. (nb, I'm not a Mug, I know many won't). That Brewery also a bit reaffirming. Good, old school pub, with a brewery out the back, has a core range of tried & testeds.

I've had a pop at Boss for sticking to the same, safe beers. And, I'm praising The Pilot for sticking to the same, safe beers. Look. I realise my position has become untenable. I'll be considering my position.

You'll have either seen the game live or on TV. I don't mind saying. I'm OK with that. We had the ball. We had some chances. We stayed in it. Who knows, one might have bounced in off someone's arse late on to rescue it. If we take our chances, we get in games & win. But, we all know that.

768/1614

No comments:

Post a Comment