Monday 6 December 2021

Dr Grange Love

Cardiff City 2 v Sheffield United 3 
The Championship 
Saturday 4 December 2021 
SUFC 2021/22 Game #30 

Right. We've got a lot to get through. Let's start with the Biggie. We have a Contender. I'm pushing the Beer In The Ground KLAXON. The kiosks in the away end were selling;

Glamorgan Brewing Co, 1927 IPA from Bottles (poured into plastic, natch) at 4.5%
I'm guessing that's named in honour of The Bluebirds 1927 FA Cup win. Mate. I'll drink to that. Pretty decent as well. A bit of citrus underpinning & great balance.

(There was even another bottle of Glamorgan, a Christmas badged one, which I believe was Santa's Little Belter)

I think I may have turned that one down at the pre match in;

St Canna's Alehouse
42 Llandaff Rd, Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9NJ

Very walkable from the ground that one. Very quirky. Higgledy Piggledy. Cask Ales via gravity from some racking just next to the bar. There were three actually on. And two mad Kegs both North of 7.2%.

Bragdy Twt Lol, Marsi Lwyd, Golden Ale on Gravity at 4.1%
Billed as Marzipanesque. Which I didn't even know was a thing. Nice beer. With what I'd have described as honey sugar.

But. The Big Beer Destination of the weekend was;

Tiny Rebel
Wern Industrial Estate, Chartist Dr, Rogerstone, Newport NP10 9FQ

The cavernous & a little bit up itself Tap Room out at the Brewery. In a way, we've not caught it at it's best on the Friday night. A few Christmas Parties. Lots more "Christmas Outfits". Table reservations - "I'm sorry, you'll need to give us the table back by…". Had a lovely surprise to find another Blades BeerHead who I only know from Social Media in the bar. (Waves, Hi Matt, great to see you).

I was going to write - "I should have been here 15 years ago"
But, I've just looked it up. The fucking thing was only founded in 2012. They moved to this larger site in Rogerstone in 2017. Cwtch won Champion Beer Of Britain in 2015. Time flies when you're drinking. Anyway. Felt like a bit of a pilgrimage. My accompanying Bagger remarked - look they've got loads on Cask. Wrong. What they've got is a Dozen an' Half pulls. With two different pump clips alternating. To slowly reveal … just two on.

Here's some truth. When you visit tap rooms, with loads of kegs on, you can sort of get sucked in to thinking - hang on, aren't they all the fucking same?

It felt like - another pale with hints of a different fruit.

We had the following; (All Tiny Rebel)

Key Lime Lager at 4.8%
Five Dollar Shake (Creamy Citra IPA) at 4.5%
Peaches And Cream, Collab with Urban Tap House in Newport, Milkshake IPA at 5.5%
Clwb Tropica, Tropical IPA at 5.5%

In an attempt to go Off Grid, I went to the Cans for;
Equalizer, American IPA at 5.8%

Intriguingly, I marked ALL the beers at 3.5/5. But, I'm going to give Outstanding Beer Of The Day to;

Electric Boogalooo (Passion Fruit New England IPA) at 4.5%
Smells deep & rich. A lot of that survives into the first few gobfulls. And the bitter finish is doable. The fruity thing detracts from it all if owt. Needs leaving alone. 

Finally, on the Beer Blogging, I'm going to put a marker down for;

The Grange
134 Penarth Rd, Cardiff CF11 6NJ

that is Deffo on the walk back to Cardiff from the ground if you "go the right way". We dived in and grabbed a seat. A very welcoming place. They'd even got their own badged keg pale from nearby;
Crafty Devil Brewing Co, Dr Grange Love at 4.2%

(I'm bookmarking The Grange as I'd expect it to feature in the 2022 Ball Suppy's Awards Ceremony).

That felt like a proper Championship game. But, this time, The Blades were on the Right Side Of History. Cardiff have a simple, effective game plan. Built around big lads at the back, mopping the crosses up. And being the threat at setpieces as well. United weren't awful or bad in the first half, just not good enough to convert any of the chances. 

Stay in the game. The sending off changed it. We were looking to create and score. And we did. At 3-1 on 75, the Carrier Bag Firm moved into - let's send a fucking message to this league - mood. Which, now, looks childish if I'm honest. And didn't materialise. No matter - To The Grange.

Twitter @ball_sup 
www.twitter.com/ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 
Stats
I have now Blogged from 1,032 games in 2,664 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment