Sunday 16 April 2023

Taproom Just Off The Shoreham

Sheffield United 4 v Cardiff City 1 
The Championship 
Saturday 15 April 2023 
SUFC 2022/23 Game #61 

We managed to visit the Grizzly Grains Taproom today. I suppose the metrics depend on which exit you exit. Is Triple Point closer? Doesn't really matter. That is a microbrewery taproom VERY close to the ground. The Grizzly Grain beers have been around for a few years. But, opening the Taproom before and after United home games is a new thing. All I can say is - check Social Media to see whether they'll be open before you make a Jack Robinson style late run for it.

This Cardiff game was an oddly timed kick off (12:30). So, we chose to go in after and stay for a couple of hours. Got to say, it wasn't busy. Not a dozen in across our stay.

Unit 6, Sheaf Gardens Industrial Estate, Duchess Rd, Highfield, Sheffield S2 4BB

The feel is very much working brewery. A few benches and chairs, both inside and outside. Brew kit on the left. Bar on the right. Card only. 

I think I'll deal first with the Mead. In case you didn't know, Mead is a drink made with honey. In beer the sugars from the wheat and barley (etc) are changed into alcohol by the yeast. In Mead, it's the sugar in the honey that is converted. That's it from me. I've never really drunk Mead. Although one of my Carrier Bag companions fancied going down Mead Street today. I understand the honey is sourced from bees and hives across Sheffield and The Peak District. Including the owner's personal bees.

There were three Meads in bottles. A 9.5% Heather Honey Mead. A 3.9% Session Mead. And, what fresh hybrid is this, a 4% Hopped Session Mead. Nelson Sauvin and Motueka. Hopped Mead. New one on me.

Lost & Grounded Helles (4.4%) provided the lager offering. I tried the other three.

Grizzly Grains, Yogi, Hazy Pale on Cask at 4.3%

Cascade and Amarillo. I didn't make proper notes of any of the beers I'm afraid. It wasn't that sort of session. That was a nice cask pale. Quite thin in the mouth. Not particularly bitter. But lovely hoppy flavours.

Grizzly Grains, All's Well, English Bitter on Cask at 3.9%

I loved that. Maybe my palate is changing. I'm finding a few English Bitter styles that seem less sweet, less nutty malty than I was fearing. This one has great balance and was easy drinking.

Grizzly Grains, Big Dimples Mild, on Keg at 3.4%

Keg Mild. Here we go. Who knows where the boundaries lie. Not bothered. That had that simple bit of red fruit, some toasted apple, that a lot of modern British keg stouts and porters have. Maybe the abv makes it a mild. Anyway, great beer.

All those in celebration of a nerve settling four oner at The Lane. The crowd subdued at times. The makeshift left back switched to makeshift right centre back. John Egan also finishing the 90+ in that right centre back role. 

Bits of make your own assist brilliance from McAtee and Ndiaye for the first and third. And, for the second, to put us ahead after being a goal down, Doyle's cross to Ndiaye was "intercepted" by the most glorious diving header from Robinson.

Three game Magic Number now.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox via Substack). Thank you.




You can find me on Social Media
Twitter @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,241 games in 3,161 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment