Tuesday 23 May 2023

Monkey Remains On Back

Millwall U21 2 v Sheffield United U21 1 
(after extra time, 1-1 at 90 minutes) 
U21 Professional Development League National Final 
Monday 22 May 2023 
Played at The Den 
SUFC 2022/23 Game #72 

So, barring some un fucking seen fiasco that brings a close to both Sheffield United's and my 2022/23 season. That's not quite the end for me though. There are still two England games in June. And, obvs, I'll ground tick anything with a centre circle.

This season, I did seventeen U21 games. Eight away and nine at home. Although only three of those home games at The Lane. Indeed, only three in Sheffield. Indeed, only three in South fucking Yorkshire. As, I've ended up with SIX U21 home games in York. Which, admittedly, widens the pub & beer gene pool, but leaves you shaking your head … why?

And, disappointingly, only one new ground tick across those U21s. That visit in August to Hanwell Town's Reynolds Field, for the two nil win against Queens Park Rangers U21. Great day that. One O'Clock kick off at Hanwell Town, mad dash for the train, for a 7:45 kick off v Reading at The Lane in the Champo.

I was able to do nine U18 games. Three away, no Ticks. Six at home. Four of those at Shirecliffe.

"I thought Shirecliffe was unfit for any sort of football activity, Phil? I read it off Facebook."

"Oh do Fuck Off."

Repeat, four of those at Shirecliffe, one at The Lane. And our prestigious home FA Youth Cup tie against eventual winners West Ham United. Originally scheduled for SCUNTHORPE UNITED - I give up. But, subsequently played as a home game at ALFRETON TOWN - I'd given up, did I say?. Still fucking went, mind.

And, I managed a disappointing just three Community Foundation games, all at home, all at Handsworth. Incidentally, the U19 Community Foundation team came second (behind Everton) in the National Football Youth League North Central Championship.

Sheffield United U21s have now lost three Professional Development League National Finals in the modern era. Having won the North Group for the last three seasons, and reached two finals on the back of that, our Finals performance remains somewhat frustrating.

Still. Great night for Academy football in Deep South. 2,076 in The Den on the night. Somewhat bizarrely packed into the end blocks of the Barry Kitchener. (I understand there was also an "away fans block" at the other end. That's not for me. I was happily in the Millwall section). So, it felt in the stands like a partisan and hostile crowd. I don't know if that came through to the players. Hope it did. Part of their development is playing in a hostile environment. As opposed to in front of two fucking dozen at York. Most of whom are there to swap teamsheets from previous games.

Me. I love the Carrier Bag Firm to bits. But, you'd hardly describe them as hostile. 

It was not the night for detailed notes and analysis. Partly because my logistics took a huuuuuuge hit when it went to extra time.

"Alexa - what's the best park to sleep in in South East London?"

On balance, I thought 'wall were just about the better team. But, it was a typical Academy game. One team on the up, then the other. I've seen us play better. But, Millwall were good at stopping us playing, and at playing themselves.

You'd say our impact players - Peck, Osula, Marsh - weren't quite at the races. We switched it up a bit later on, withdrawing Marsh into a Ten. Both sides created chances, with a tendency to rush and snatch the final effort.

To me, Andre Brooks is changing/has changed as a player. He's now much more of a break through the lines with the ball at his feet player. Sounds good. Except it means he's less involved. I'll spin that positively. He's developing more skills for his toolbox.

On the night, we were OK defensively. Got an error in us. And Sachdev was getting the run around at times. But, not too much to worry about in the grand scheme. Millwall were good at stretching us.

So, disappointing result, not too bad a performance, monkey still on back.

"Did you do the Bermondsey Beer Mile Phil?"

"It was on a fucking Monday mate. Shutters. Down."

But, I was able to hit one from my list. The deliberately and marvellously named;

The Shirker's Rest
9 Lewisham Way, London SE14 6PP

I think there's an upstairs, but I was in the downstairs. Bar at the far end. There were four handpull sticks, but only two on. Did I mention, it's a fucking Monday. Seven pukka craft keg. Here's a Manifesto Statement to hold me to account on.

"I'm going to order more Sours. Pile in. Not mither. Enjoy."

So, I did.

Bianca Road Brew Co (Southwark), Red & Black, Raspberry & Blackberry fruited sour on Keg at 5%

Nicely put together beer. Here's my advice to anyone shying away from Sours. They're never as fucking sour as you're worried about. Here's my advice to any - beer isn't supposed to be sour - merchants. Beer has been sour far, far longer than the current stuff you can buy in chain pubs. Because, for centuries, lots of types of natural yeast have made sour beer by default. Anyway. Have a few. I am.

The tart fruit dominates that one. The sour was just pucker up perfect.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox via Substack). Thank you.




You can find me on Social Media
Twitter @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,266 games in 3,198 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment