Wednesday 13 September 2023

sssshhhuuusss Show Some Respect

Scotland 1 (Own Goal) v England 3 
150th Anniversary Pantomime Friendly 
Tuesday 12 September 2023 
Played at a Pantomime Hostile Hampden Park 
My 153rd England Away game 

We've got to stand loud and tall against this shit. Got to. The Scotland fans have warmed up with;

"In a box, Lizzie's in a box."

In honour of the late English Queen. I'm a football fan. So, I'm happy enough with anything goes pantomime chanting at games. Prefer it if fans sing in support of their own team. Rather than pantomime hatred of "the others". But, we know what we're up against. I'm also a Republican, so the Scotch are poking the wrong bear with that chant. The England fans have responded with the full range of faux patriotic colonial ditties.

"Britannia rules the waves"

Which of course is the WRONG lyrics to Britannia Rule The Waves. Not my history. And, I went to Comprehensive School. So, I won't sing that dirge.

The pantomime frenzy is further stoked by CosPlay. As a gang of percussionists, presumably dressed as "Highlanders", have banged a load of kit. The best way I can describe their costumes is - there were six of 'em, and they had enough clothes for four.

Then we have the anthems. I'm sent hameward to think again and Lizzie is further boxed in. Everything has been whipped into a frenzy. And … now … a minutes silence.

"SorryWutPardon?"

A minutes silence for - recently deceased ex Scotch manager Craig Brown. Who, indeed, himself, is very firmly In A Box. And, tacked on as a three for the price of one offer we also have the silence in honour of those affected by … checks this morning's papers … the tragic events in Morocco and Libya.

It. Is. Fucking. Ludicrous.

Have it in a Church. Have it at a Wake. Have it at a thing in the big square. But, don't try and fucking Google things you can silence for at a football game. Let alone the whipped into a frenzy pantomime oldest rivalry thingamajig football game.

It. Is. Fucking. Ludicrous.

Salute to the England fans who correctly disrupted the silence. I plead The Fifth. We've got to stand loud and tall against this shit. Got to.

While we're at it. What sort of Anniversary Celebration was that? The Scottish FA have given just 2,900 tickets to England fans. For a celebration? They've got that waaaaay wrong. That doesn't honour the anniversary. Did they want a celebration or not?

Readers of this Blog will know I'm proud of my Hampden record. I went to games in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1989 and 1999. I made this fixture what it is. When the Tartan Army needed someone to chant at and threaten. It was me and The Horrendous Lemons who shouted;

"We're over here."

We had fucking more than 2,900 in the ground in the 80s when we weren't given ANY tickets. This time, the Scottish FA got the official allocation badly wrong.

On the way to The Big Show, we had a trip out to the evocative Cathkin Park. Sometimes called Second Hampden, or Old Hampden. For varmints of my generation, brung up listening to the results being read out on the radio and tele, I know it more as the home ground of Third Lanark FC. The club ceased to be in 1967. So, Cathkin Park is something of a heritage site. What can you do? It'd cost a fortune to keep the terraces in good order. A fortune which would basically fall on Glasgow taxpayers. Slowly, nature is reclaiming the ground. Which gives it a lovely, spooky feel. 

Fairly dominant by England. Although they took their foot off the gas in the second half. When Scotland scored, there was a few moments of Game On. And then both teams inexplicably disrupted themselves with bewildering substitutions. 

Anyway that win celebrated after the game with;

Alechemy Brewing (Livingston), Charisma, Pale Ale on Cask at 3.7%
and Sugar Free Irn Bru from a Tin

"You went straight from Poland to Glasgow didn't you Phil? Do owt on the Monday?"

Blogger points to photo of a show he was at in Glasgow and giggles

I won't need to think of nice things to say,I dont want to want this way anymore,Shh now and hear comes silence.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.




You can find me on Social Media
Twitter @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,305 games in 3,311 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment