Monday 25 December 2023

Bar? Looks Unlikely

Aston Villa 1 v Sheffield United 1 
Premier League 
Friday 22 December 2023 
SUFC 2023/24 Game #33 

“Alexa - show me a photo of the most unlikely Bar in England”

Leviathan Brewing
Unit 4&5, 17 Reddicap Trading Estate, Sutton Coldfield B75 7BU

We knew it was there. We even saw their name on the list of units as we turned off the street. But, lights - there were none. Nameplates - there were none. Fuck sake, it's easier to find out the name and details of the Shutter Company than the Brewery. But, anyway, they've used the universal (narrator - isn't universal, Phil) method of a cardboard sign propped up on a Keg. It was mobbed inside.

Eleven on Keg. Magnificent range of guests. Four of their own. Cask lines empty. “Amusing can fridge”. I did a quick beers v minutes calculation. Fuck it - I'm going through all the Leviathans.

Leviathan Brewing, Limes Like Dimes, Indian Pale Lager on Keg at 4.6%

Billed as a Taproom special. Claiming noble German Hops. And lime juice. Underwhelming. I'm not sure what they're trying to do there. Nothing happening for me.

Leviathan Brewing, Voodoo People, Stout on Keg at 5%

Claims five malts. Nice body. A lovely straight down the line modern British keg stout. Some red fruit drawing you in. Some choccy tones. I felt the bitter finish needed more of a kick up the arse.

Leviathan Brewing, Walking In My Shoes, Porter on Keg at a whopping 7%

Gone malt mad here. That ‘un claims seven malts. That was a great big, bold porter. The flavours really developed as you got down it. As I'd hoped, the booze kicked in at the end. Some toasted apple. A headspinner.

Leviathan Brewing, Masters Of Poppets, Black Barley Wine on Keg at (checks notes - fuck me) 13.4%

Cacao nibs and natural orange extract. I thought it might all be a bit sweeter and boozier than it was. I couldn't really get any chocolate. And the orange just came turned up the acid.

Leviathan Brewing, Sleep With One Pie Open, Apricot Crumble and vanilla custard sour (yes, really) from a Tin at 8%

It was Leviathan. It was on the card. I'm going through the card, remember. Great way to finish. Desert. Nicely balanced. But, too gentle if I'm honest. I got apricot mainly.

Keen readers will have totted up the abvs out of that lot and concluded I've started a fight outside The Holte End, woke up on 90 minutes, and assumed we've lost one nil.

As will have been clear for a while, I take my pleasure where I can. Scoring first at The Vile, with three minutes left, limbs. Having sat in and worked hard. And, a point.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.




You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,356 games in 3,412 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment