Monday 25 March 2024

Just South Of Doddinghurst

Brentwood Town 3 v Maldon & Tiptree 2 
Isthmian League North (Step 4) 
Friday 22 March 2024 
Ground Tick #480 

Absolute Five O’Clock Madhouse.

The Peasants Revolt Micropub
Kings Rd, Brentwood CM14 4DR

Although, I'm not criticising. I'm chronicling. Betwixt Brentwood Station and the Town Centre. On a main road. Best way I can describe it?

“Convert a shop front into an all welcoming bar, with (frankly) not much else around, and they will come, and many of them, and fucking early, and you will hear them. Oh yes. You will hear them.”

I could not hear myself think.

Second best way I can describe it?

“One of those gaffs where you think - who the fuck is that pissed up idiot holding court at the end o’ the bar with the craft cider on? And at 6pm. When the shifts change. He lifts the hatch up. And he's serving you!!!”

They had a beer board. But, it was a little difficult to tell what was on, what had gone off & what (if anything) had replaced it.

At one stage, I ordered a Hammerton Crunch. Matey exclaimed…

“That's gone off…”

I re-chose.

The bloke next to me ordered two pints of Hammerton Crunch. Those were poured for him!!! I'm trying to give the impression things got a tad chaotic at times.

That said. I reckon a solid ten on pukka craft Keg at one Cask.

My first ‘un? Went wrong. Thought I'd show willing by choosing the Essex Beer.

Leigh On Sea Brewery, It Takes Two To Mango, Fruit IPA on Keg at 5.5%

By eye. And by taste buds. Indistinguishable from a glass of Mango Juice. Couldn't get any beery qualities. At all. Claimed to be hopped with Nectaron, El Dorado and Talus. I'll have to take their word for it.

Right. The next one. Baffled me. But deffo put us back in the game.

Otherworld Brewing (Dalkeith, Scotland), Hazy Session Ale Idaho 7 & Nectaron, on Cask at 3.3%

Just superb. Particularly at that abv. How the fuck has a cask of that. From just South of Edinburgh. Found it's way down here. To just South of Doddinghurst? Easy drinking. Thin mouthfeel. Packed with flavour. Some juice. Salad leaf bitter. Long finish.

Dry Hopped with Idaho 7 and Nectaron. Fermented with Kveik.

Drop Project (Mitcham, London), Shifty, Hazy Pale Ale on Keg at 5.2%

Great beer. Some dry grass up top. A good whack of bitter orange. Sugar stays on the lips.

Double Dry Hopped. Fermented with Vermont Yeast. Citra and Mosaic Hops.

Pressure Drop Brewing (London), King Queen Knave, Hazy Pale Ale on Keg at 5.2%

Another belter to finish off. Chewy and full of flavour.

The Brentwood Centre Arena, my 480th Ground Tick, was also serving an impressive range of Footie Beers. But, we couldn’t do ‘em justice as we'd done our trousers by that stage.

Shepherd Neame Whitstable Bay Pale, Black Stout and Spitfire Lager went unsampled.

A good game. Which maybe wasn't quite as close as the scoreline suggested. Town had gone ahead on just 9. Nothing more than a hopeful ball in, no one dealing with it, let alone clearing it. And poked home for one nil.

The Jammers equalised on 16. But, the game turned just after that. As a Brentwood guy bore down towards the penalty area on his left, he was brought down from behind. My instinct said - inside the box. But, once the Ref consulted his inner soul, he gave a free kick on the edge. But sent the M&T geezer off.

They hung on one one until half time. But Brentwood took the game away from them a bit in the second. A great left foot free kick, at power, low, and around the wall on 57 made it two one.

Three on 70. With a great long range right foot shot. It was really cruise control after that. But a Jammers goal from a corner on 45 +3 made for an interesting few minutes at the death.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.


You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,396 games in 3,503 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment