Wednesday 12 June 2024

Good Baseball, Poor Pourage

New York Mets 6 v Philadelphia Phillies 5 
Major League Baseball, National League East 
Sunday 9 June 2024 
Played at London Stadium 

Today, I chucked my support behind the Mets. In solidarity with my mate Mark who is a long time Mets fan. I met him for a drink in the pub before the game.

“Septic Tank is he Phil? From the Big Apple in NYC, U S of A? Mets fan from over the pond?”

“Negative. He's from Stourbridge.”

“Fucking Stourbridge? He'll be a Cosplay Baseball fan then Phil? Like you.”

“Negative. In fact, today was his 50th Mets game. He's been on 28 different Major League ballparks.”

“I can stalk him on the football ground ticking Apps. The fucker has seen football in fifty six countries. Ahead of me. I'm on 54. He's also on 5,445 beer ticks. Way ahead of my 3,390.”

“He's my nemesis.”

Mark will know all the Mets players and what they're good at. As a Met For A Day, I don't. But, I usually claim I understand the game and can follow it. But, I'm happy to admit, I lost the thread at the end. My immediate, real time call was that the Phillies had won it. Until the scoreboard flashed;

“Mets Win”

“I'm back, back in the New York groove
I'm back, back in the New York groove
I'm back, back in the New York groove
Back, in the New York groove
In the New York groove”

The Phillies had scored in the first, and two in the fourth to lead three zip. The Mets rallied with a three run 6th innings. But, the Phillies went ahead again in the 7th with a David Dahl Home Run.

Phillies four - three going into the final innings. Met Mark Vientos got Tyrone Taylor across the plate to level with no outs. Pete Alonso was hit by a pitch, that brought Jeff McNeil home for the go ahead run 5-4. The comeback looking complete as the Mets made it 6-4 as they finished their bit of the ninth innings.

Now. All up to the Phillies. Single. One on base. Caught. One out. Still one on base. Philiies Realmuto hit by a pitch. Two on base. Just one out. Bryce Harper singles. Everyone move up. Bases Loaded. Just one out.

Right. Let's go to the Basics Board here. The Phillies need two to tie, three to win. But they have a runner on every base. Any sort of hit, or four no balls, or a hit batter, and it's easy for them to score. Indeed, Alex Bohm draws a Walk - four no balls. So that makes it 6-5. Still Bases Loaded. The Mets still need to get two Batters out.

The point I'm making is - this is right on the fucking wire.

And then. It all happens.

Philiies Nick Castellanos hits it. His bat breaks. Which, it has to be said, only adds to my fucking confusion. He's hit it. So, everyone has to run. It ain't gone very far mind. The Catcher/Wicketkeeper picks it up and slings it to first base to try and run the geezer out. I think…

“The Batter has fucking made that. He's not out. He's safe. Runs will score. The Phillies will win.”

“No. No. No. As he's picked the ball up off the deck, the Mets Catcher (Luis Torrens) has actually stumped the guy running to score. AND then he's run t’other bloke out at first. A DOUBLE PLAY. Two geezers out on the same hurl.” 

“Mets Win”

I had been to both days of Yankees v Red Sox and Cubs v Cardinals in previous years. So, I'm a regular. And. We're here for some beer. And, the Major League Baseball London Series beer experience has gone down each time. 

This year. Rock Bottom. In previous years, there was an attempt by American Brewers to collaborate with London Brewers, to produce and serve true American Craft Beer in the stadium. The queues and the welcome to England, this is how it works craziness still meant it was a rare old Pfaff though.

This year. Nish. After three fucking laps, we did find some bars selling Brixton Brewery, Reliance Pale Ale. Currently, second best footie beer on the island. So we'll have them.

Just as reported last year. They've got those pre poured, going warm and flat, on a shelf, at £7.45 a pop. No. Pour one in front of me or I won't bother.

“Why, these here are ready.”

What is wrong with this country? Pour the fucking thing after I've ordered it.

Good Baseball. Poor Pourage.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.


You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,443 games in 3,582 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment