Thursday, 14 January 2016

100 South African Beers

South Africa 267-7
v England
close on Day 1

Thursday 14 January 2016

The Wanderers, Johannesburg

100 South African Beer Ticks

Twitter @ball_sup

Good partnership by South Africa has got them somewhere. England were piss poor not to get the eighth wicket with the New Ball. That is what it is for.

It looked to me that they were bowling too short with both new balls. Broad in particular. But, the batsmen did continue to get out to short ‘uns. They'll be disappointed. Won the toss. Batted. Got starts. Got out. Seven gone.

I wish at times England would just stay patient. Tight lines. Dry it up. Too many effort balls coming to nothing.

Good game ahead.

Cape Winelands Microbrewery & Craft Beer Pubs wrap up.

I mentioned;

Wild Clover Brewery
Cape Brewing Co.

in my last blog. Both had their idiosyncrasies. The Wild Clover people didn't want me to post pictures on the Internet. The CBC tasting room can only sell small tasters, not pints & big drinks. Although you can get their stuff on site at other Spice Route outlets.

But. No gripes from me. Both great places. I'd happily recommend. But, the rough at the edges, little niggles did continue at ALL the Micros & Craft pubs we tried.

Wagon Trail Brewery at Anura vineyard. Superb place. Fermenting vessels & kit behind glass on one side. The beers are a bit safe if I'm honest. Pleasant, but safe. We went on a Saturday & the adjoining restaurant was very busy. We were told at the front desk that we couldn't eat in the bar as the kitchen was too pulled out.

Problem was, group after group came in, sat down & ordered grub. Turned out no one had told the Waiters. So, everyone in the gaff was eating except for me & Mrs Ball Sup. A few prams are now toyless. They recovered enough for us to go back on another day.

Franschhoek Station Pub & Grill. Wonderful. The old railway station. Very nice renovation/conversion. You can eat in the Parcels Office, The Platform or THE TRACKS. I asked the waitress twice whether ALL the keg beers were listed on the menu. Yes. On the third asking, I pointed to two pumpclips I could see, which clearly weren't on the menu.

Oh & those…….

Even more ridiculous at a pub called The Thirsty Scarecrow. We walked in. Asked for a table for 2. Got sat down. I went up to the bar to have a look at the taps. Very disappointing. The pumpclips turned out to be wrong & there was nothing on that I could tickle. Not what I'd been lead to believe by my research.

I went back to the table resigned to Diet Coke. Mrs Ball Sup pipes - “this isn't it”.

Whaaaaaat?

No really. To get to The Thirsty Scarecrow you have to WALK THROUGH this other restaurant/bar which we were now sat in. Again, walk through. ….

So, Take Two. Once we got into the actual Pub we were aiming for, it was great. Nice keg tap selection & good bottle list.

All told. I'd warts n all I'd thoroughly recommend;

Wild Clover Brewery
Wagon Trail Brewery
Cape Brewing Co (& other Spice Route outlets)
Franschhoek Station Pub & Grill
The Thirsty Scarecrow

Just, get yourself ready, strap yoursen in, summat will throw you.

I've done

Wagon Trail Brewery, Pale Ale on keg at  4.5%. Great easy drinking pale. Grapefruit, mandarin into a bitter finish.

Wild Clover Brewery, Double Owl, English Brown Ale on keg at 5.5%. Nicely balanced. A good earthy & woody bitterness.

Saggy Stone, Big Red Ale on keg at 4.5%.

Lakeside Brewery, American Pale Ale on keg at 4.5%. Maybe a little too honey sweet. And I'd prefer upfront bitterness.

Cape Brewing Co., Pilsner from a bottle at 5.2%. Great beer. Bohemian style. Unusually for me, I love the sweetness. Crisp finish.

Darling Brew, Slow Beer on keg at 4%.Lemon on the nose. Citrus in the taste. Bitter finish.

Apollo Brewery, India Pale Ale on keg at 5.3%. Looks the part. Fruit cake smell. Hopping gives a dry taste. Good & bitter.

Wagon Trail Brewery, Settlers Weiss on keg at 4%. Pleasant & refreshing. But not a great deal going on with the flavours.

Wagon Trail Brewery, Long Road Lager on keg at 4%. Nice beer. Maybe needs more sweetness upfront & more bitterness at the end.

Wagon Trail Brewery, Ox Blood Amber Ale on keg at 5%. Good sweet banana backbone. Just enough hop kick to keep me interested.

Cape Brewing Co., Red Weiss from a bottle at 6%. Interesting hybrid beer. A malty bite against the bananas from the wheat & yeast.

Cape Brewing Co., Cape Of Good Hops, Imperial IPA from a bottle at 7.5%. Hop Bomb. Initially sweet, then intense bitter end.

Brewhogs, No. 2 Original Red Lager on keg at 4.5%. Candied Apple smell. Nice n malty. Some raisin.

Jack Black’s, Lager on keg. Vienna style. Red & malty.

My 100th different South African beer. Swagga Brewery, Blonde Ale on keg at 4.8%.

264/541

No comments:

Post a Comment