Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Just Ridiculous

South Africa 313 all out
v England 323 all out
South Africa 83 all out
England 74-3
England win by 7 wickets

Saturday 16 January 2016

The Wanderers, Johannesburg

Twitter @ball_sup

Just ridiculous. Broad 6 for 17. They're saying 5 for 1 run in one mini spell.

Just ridiculous. Taylor’s two catches at Short Leg.

Just ridiculous. Run needers Hales, Cook & Compton getting out in a small chase.

But, mainly Broad. Ridiculous. At each wicket, I kept shouting “come on, let's bust through ‘em”. Wildest dreams.

I give up. I've no idea how this game works. Superb. South Africa are in a bit of trouble. They've swapped Captains & Keepers mid series. They've had injuries to Steyn & Abbott during the series. They've subsequently jettisoned an opener. But, they were number one. That's still Amla & de Villiers in Broad’s pocket.

And of course, that's the Series. Two up, only Centurion to come.

Finn is lame again. I hope & think they'll go with Woakes. Hales, aaarrrggghhh. I don't think he's got it. Technique nor Ticker. But, I'm OK with the plan to have an attacking batsman up top. But, then he's moribund. 18 off 46 in the second. One off 10 in the first.

Um. Er. You know what. It's a tough game. Ask Carbs, Compo, Robson & Lyth. Me, I'd get rid. Cook, Compton, Ballance.

But, they won't.

Johannesburg Beer Wrap

The Griffin & Hogshead Illovo are both near the cricket. Maybe just a bit too far for the Lunch session. But, good hits if you nip in after Close. The Griffin was a bit mental. Very busy. A few Castle Casualties.

Both had nominally double figures on tap. But, both had a few off. The Griffin had a v short SA bottle list. I was of course celebrating a just ridiculous Day 3. And trying to find my way through nonexistent Days 4 & 5. But, I'd thoroughly recommend both.

There is also a great Norman Goodfellows liquor store in Illovo. With a lovely South African Craft bottles selection.

And finally, Gautrain & Gautrain Bus (S5) will get you up to the Montecasino complex. Wind your way from there across to Beerhouse Fourways. Nice SA (& imports) keg range. And a very well organised 99 strong bottle list.

All told, Broad had the following in his honour,

Citizen Beer Alliance, Amber Ale from a bottle at 5.5%.

Mad Giant, Punk Hop Pale Ale on keg at 5%. Gets there late but lovely pineapple into bitter finish.

Brewhogs, No. 4 India Pale Lager on keg at 5%.

Brewhogs, No. 3 Black India Pale Lager on keg at 5%. Nice beer. To be honest,  not enough Black nor Hops for me. A bit gentle.

Jack Black’s, Lumberjack Amber Ale on keg at 6%. Nice balance. A lot of sweetness. Malty, toffee, like a rich cake.

Mainstream, APA on keg at 6%. Great beer. Very woody, powerful bitterness.

Smack! Republic, Braamfontein Brawler IPA from a bottle at 5.5%. Tropical fruit sweetness upfront. Gently bitter.

Agar's, Jozi Blonde on keg at 4.5%. Nice, easy drinking. Pleasant, bordering pineapple, sweetness in the finish.

266/543

No comments:

Post a Comment