Thursday 18 July 2019

Brews Of The World

Yorkshire 520 All Out
Somerset 196 All Out
& Somerset (Following On) 251 All Out
Yorkshire win by an Innings and 73 Runs
(I attended Day 3 only) Monday 15 July
Played at Headingley

Burton Albion 2 v Sheffield United 1
Pre Season Friendly
Tuesday 16 July 2019

SUFC 2019/20 Game 4

Twitter @ball_sup
www.twitter.com/ball_sup
Untappd ball_sup

As I was planning my beer day out in Burton, I was coming up against the usual Tuesday Teatime Turmoil. This one was shut, this one was open at 4, this one at 5. I’d more or less steeled myself to give a pep talk to the Carrier Bag Firm. Look, it’s Burton, it’s Tuesday, it’s Old Beer. Maybe we’d just look to snaffle some tasty old fashioned beers positioned on the bar near the Pedigree. But, a rumour emerged. There’s a single room off licence, with keg taps on the wall, and maybe a few tab;es & chairs scattered about. Google Maps. Here. We. Come. Thing is, inconclusive, no tables & chairs in them photies. Phone Him. Bingo. Yes. We have keg taps. Yes. You can sit in here & drink. No. It’s not just an Off Licence.


It was under those circumstances that we found ourselves in Brews Of The World - read all about it as Weller would have it. There now follows a Regionalist Comment, look away Me Duck. The guy who was running the show had such a strong local accent, that I couldn’t really make much of his answers to my detailed questioning about Beers, ownership & other local supping opportunities. Anyway. Great place, I would highly recommend it if you like your Keg Craft Beers. The board was very interesting. The “have you got any lager” Lager was Tegernseer Hell, from Herzoglich Bayerisches Brauhaus. The Weissbier was from Schlossbrauerei Irlbach in Bayern. There were a dozen (ish) on the board.

Odyssey Brew Co, Double Chocolate Stout at 7%. Which I’m afraid was a bit of a miss for me. It looked a bit messy. Grey rather than black. Not much of a head. A bit univiting. I warmed to the fact that it wasn’t sickly sweet. But, mate, if you’d have said that was a single chocolate stout, I’d have said - FFS needs more chocolate. Double, it weren’t

Brew York, Cereal Killa (Gluten Free), alleged West Coast IPA, at 6.5%. Thin & insipid, with no discernible Hops. That’s not a good strapline for a North of 6% IPA.


Which leaves Outstanding Beer Of The Day;

Left Handed Giant, Wild Years, American IPA at 6%. Lovely & thick. The sugar mixes in straight away with the mainly upfront hop bitterness. That was a game saving, straight ahead IPA.


Let us put that game down to just get some cobwebs off pre season. I’m not sure we learn anything. But, I’m not overly concerned either. New “how much” Lad, Callum Robinson looked lively when he came on. Luke Freeman didn’t stand out, as he hadn’t in Portugal. Some nice bench warming for a number of Academy Lads - Reece York, Zak Brunt, Harry Boyes & Jake Young. Along with pukka back up keeper Marcus Dewhurst.

Stats
I have now Blogged from 821 games in 1,792 days

No comments:

Post a Comment