Saturday 13 July 2019

CBF Step Up To The Plate

Sheffield United 1 v Real Betis Balompie 0
Pre Season Friendly
Friday 12 July 2019
Played at Estadio Algarve

SUFC 2019/20 Game 3

Twitter @ball_sup
www.twitter.com/ball_sup
Untappd ball_sup

Portuguese Beer Ticks - 63

That is the 220th different ground I have watched a Sheffield United XI play on. All ages, all competitions. I have actually been in the Estadio Algarve before. To see England play Portugal in a friendly in 2004. I'm not a Grass. But, at that game, one of the Carrier Bag Firm was so addled on Port, he had to approach the turnstiles on all fours.

"Big, prestige friendly tonight that Phil" - I can hear you saying.
"Proper, known across the World, club Real Betis, aren't they Phil?" - you'll continue.
"That's the sort of company we need to be mingling in" - you purrrrrr.

"I hope we came across well, and not TinPot. Maybe gave Betis a present for their Trophy Room & Museum. A canteen of Sheffield Cutlery? Sheffield Silver Plate? Summat engraved?" - as a hint of concern enters your voice.

"Did we Phil? I didn't see any photos. Surely we exchanged gifts. Did you hear owt Phil?"

Oh yes mate. I've heard something. I am pleased to reassure you & exclusively announce that Sheffield United presented a somewhat restrained Engraved Silver Salver to their new Real Betis chums. I know this how? I know this because one of the Carrier Bag Firm brought it to Portugal in his hand luggage from Liverpool Airport. And then got an Uber from his AirBnB Hovel to the luxurious team hotel to hand it over to the SUFC Club Officials.

"Fuck Off Phil, that never happened. If that happened, you'll have a photo."

Pleeeaaase. We're the Carrier Bag Firm. We're doing this shit, so no one else has to. You're welcome….



Honour. Restored.

I enjoyed that game. It's only pre season. And, our first game at that. But, it was an interesting game to watch. There were no limbs. But, I did allow myself a little fist pump yeah at the whistle. In the first ten minutes, it looked like we might get overrun. Betis building wave after wave of attacks down our right. But, Billy put his foot in, we pressed a bit more & fought our way back into it. I'll be honest, even at that stage, we didn't look much of an attacking threat. The strikers were isolated. Hopeful balls pumped somewhere near them. Living off scraps.
 


Midfield players sprinting back and tracking. Defenders getting there & getting their blocks in. Simon Moore dealing with anything that got past them. It might not be a recipe for the Top Six. But, it's a recipe for getting in, and staying in, games. If the strikers keep at it, there'll be chances. And, McGoldrick put one away. There were minutes for players we might not see much more of this season. Regan Slater, Kean Bryan, Leon Clarke. There were intriguing peeps into the future. Luke Freeman - I hope those will be his last scuffed shots of the season. Phil Jagielka - I hope those won't be his last "fuck me, what am I doing out here" wide maraud overlaps of the season.

Simon Moore made some great saves. Our Keeper Capers ain't over yet. But, we'll need Moore at some point before May. Tonight should reassure that'll work out. Is my neck coming out or not? Nah. I can't quite bring myself to do it. But, John Lundstram did himself favours tonight. He's a Player. He's not going to have an incredible season. But, he's well set up. Just maybe we'll see a little something, at some time. No drama from me. I like the fella.

You start somewhere. We started here. One. Nil.

I'm previously deep into Portuguese Macro & Micro beers. Sixty one ticks when I landed at Faro. So, this was never gonna beer a Big Beer Trip. But, I celebrated the successful handover of the Silver Plate with two ticks. As you do.

Cerveja Artesanal Marafada, Stout from a bottle at 6%. That was a nice, unchallenging, but refreshing stout. Lovely toasted apple, with the sweetness spot on.
 


Bohemia, Bock from a bottle at 8%. That's from the Sagres stable. It was a touch bland and needed much more malty sweetness to come through. Some background burnt toast saved it.

Stats
I have now Blogged from 819 games in 1,788 days

No comments:

Post a Comment