Monday 23 September 2019

Change the Blog

Everton 0 v Sheffield United 2
Premier League
Saturday 21 September 2019

SUFC 2019/20 Game 24

Twitter @ball_sup
www.twitter.com/ball_sup
Untappd ball_sup

Honestly? You want to know what’s going on with this Blog. It’s always late. Always the same. Honestly, I wrote a Blog I was very happy with before that game. A Blog which focussed on the previous Big Issue. The Court Case. The Verdict. And, our “new” Saudi Owners. I’d enjoyed writing it. Cathartic. It might have made uncomfortable reading for some Blades. Dealing, as it did/does, with the links between Saudi Human Rights violations & Saudi Investment money. It’s something I feel very strongly about. And, I’ll Blog/publish it one day. But, in the aftermath of a wonderful drinking & football day at Everton. I wasn’t comfortable whanging that sort of Blog out there. Way it goes.

The Sportsman coach was taking us for a pre-match in Prescot. Sure. There was a ‘spoons. Sure. There was a very interesting MicroPub popped up on my internet research. But, he’s now having to take two coaches - to what on the face of it looked like a one coach town. I resigned myself to the pubs being busy. I resigned myself that I might have to fight to the bar. I thought - no drama, if I end up with just one pint, I’ll thoroughly enjoy it & it’ll help my unit analytics.

I let the dust settle before I walked into The Bard - a “Shakespeare Inspired Micropub” in Prescot. Booooom. Throw that fucking plan away. The fella behind the jump is wearing a Teardrop Explodes t-shirt. Glance in any direction. The cask black board is over on the left hand wall. The keg blackboard is over on the right hand wall. The cask pulls are on the bar. The keg fonts on the back wall. Glance. Jeez. Those all look winners. Strap in.  Five on cask. Including one from The Melwood Beer Company. Julian’s fan from behind the bar introduced that one as being “from my Brewery”. I actually blanked that one.

Team Toxic, Don’t Talk Just Kiss, Golden Ale on cask at 4.5%
The Cheshire Brewhouse, Rockall DDH Oatmeal Pale on cask at 4.8%

I counted five pukka craft kegs on that side. 

Top Rope Brewing, Daydream Mouth, Session IPA on keg at 4.5%. Nothing particularly wrong with that one. I just found it a little uninspiring. The flavours were gentle. There was a little bit of a Hop Bitter kick at the end to save it.



Which leaves - Outstanding Beer Of The Day
Collective Arts Brewing (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada), Saint Of Circumstance, Blonde Ale on keg at 4.7%. That was unusual enough to have you thinking. Some of it tasted like a citrus pale. Some of it like a grassy saison. And, some of it a bit yeasty, like a Belgian Golden. It had a neat soapy taste at first. And, was packed with flavour.

Bit of an argument before kick off. One of the stewards took some sweets from the mascot who walks around the pitch, and held his hand out to me - “want some toffees, mate?”. Clown. Those are Everton Mints. Where do they even find these people. 



Obvs. That was far from our most fluent & energetic performance of the season. At times, we looked to be sitting very deep. Without any usable outlet. The ball just seemed to keep coming back at us. When, I stopped to think, I thought fuck, where are J O’C & Bash. Oh yeah. They’re defenders. I can barely remember those days. Despite all that, you could hardly say Everton created loads of clear cut chances. The whole day will be forever framed by that second goal. Lundstram gets the ball. And covers some right old ground with it. He sees something. Lollops it in the box. Mousset gets on the end of it. And, a calm quality finish. Just in the moment, it felt like a Premier League goal. The ones we’ve been missing a few of, and conceding. One chance. Bit of pace & skill needed. Done.

Stats
I have now Blogged from 857 games in 1,859 days

No comments:

Post a Comment