Sunday 13 February 2022

Be Calm AND Decisive

Huddersfield Town 0 v Sheffield United 0 
The Championship 
Saturday 12 February 2022 
SUFC 2021/22 Game #51 

First thing's first. This is what the blog is here for. I'm pushing the beer in the ground KLAXON. It wasn't completely unexpected. I was actually sitting in the Magic Rock Brewing Stand FFS. And, Huddersfield brewers Magic Rock have had a tie in with The Terriers for a long time. There were actually two Magic Rock beers on the uncovered concourse between the fucking overflowing piss drenched latrines and the gangways.

Town Lager (4.2%) was on Keg. But the Carrier Bag Firm hopheads went for;

Magic Rock Brewing, Saucery, Session IPA in a Tin at 3.9%

Not the first time we've had that of course. It's a simple well balanced no-nonsense session IPA. And, man, it was a beer in the ground and so it was welcome.

Maybe Huddersfield has dozens of blinding cask ale and Craft Beer boozers. That doesn't bother me too much, as realistically I can only get in two on an awayday. What I can tell you brethren is it certainly, and I mean certainly, does have at least two. I should know, because I've been in 'em. First up;

The Sportsman
1 St John's Rd, Huddersfield HD1 5AY

Part of the small, but excellent, Beerhouses chain. A lovely 8 on the cask hand pulls. Indeed 9, as the absolutely ridic 10% Imperial Stout wasn't even listed on the chalkboard. Four pukka keg. And Osset Yon as your lager offering. First hurdle, remember you're in West Yorkshire, a pint of froth will be pulled through one of those sparkler affairs. Wait. Wait. Wait. And drink.

The Durham Brewery, Hey! Mandarina, on Cask at 3.9%.

Really excellent. Surprised me a lot. The best way I can describe it is - the peach & apricot coming through off the Hops tasted of the fruit, not the sugar. And, there was waaaay more bitterness than I expected.

Mallinsons (Huddersfield), Centennial, Blonde on Cask at 3.9%
Nice straightforward single hopped banger. Nice bitterness & drying in the mouth finish.

Come on. I mean come on. That was a great advert for The Championship wasn't it? I suspect both teams will be happy enough with the draw, I know I am. I suspect both teams will be thinking they could have won that, I know I am. I'm posting this reasonably confident that no opposition team scouting analyst reads it. Came for the Beer, stayed for the tactical analysis ain't happening. But, that flea-flicker corner routine to someone on the edge of the box is a thing of beauty isn't it? Fleck got a great shot off as well. If only…

I'll also allow myself a go at what I think is wrong with our play & finishing in the box. Our mob seem to be either calm OR decisive. Either a simple toe poke going nowhere. Or, a wild swing going anywhere. Excusing Billy. What we need is calm AND decisive. For eg, that in the six yard box chance for McBurnie, calm AND decisive we win that.

That insightful insight, and many others, discussed during the post match shakedown at;

The Grove Inn
2 Spring Grove St, Huddersfield HD1 4BP

I haven't been in for ages. Surely one of the best Pubs in the country. Always. Always a great range of both Cask & Keg. It took a while. Waterproof coat - off. Gore Tex strides - off. Can't even think about wet shoes. Conjures up too grim an image. That fucking overflowing latrine in the ground. Fuck me. I've had my shoes swabbed for DNA testing. It's come back with the DNA of 1,275 different people on the soles. And, finally time to peruse the boards.

Fourteen. 14. Ten. And then four fucking more. On Cask.

Twenty One. 21. Three short of two fucking dozen. On Keg.

Today's Carrier Bag Firm roster required a plethora of Cask & a preponderance of Keg to satisfy all tastes. This. Was. It.

Dorking Brewery, Surrey XPA on Cask at 3.8%

Northern Monk, Great Northern Ale on Cask at 4.5%

Vocation Brewery, New Musick, Hazy Pale on Keg at 4%

Turning Point Brew Co, Chaos Theory, Oatmeal Pale on Cask at 5%

Mallinsons, American S.I.P.A. on Cask at 4.5% (not pictured)

(May I apologise to readers & reassure them that plans are in place to ensure proper beer notes are captured during after match piss ups. Otherwise this shit just turns into a fucking list of beers.)

Twitter @ball_sup 
www.twitter.com/ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 
Stats
I have now Blogged from 1,060 games in 2,734 days 



No comments:

Post a Comment