Sunday 18 December 2022

Is 150 Alcohol Units Per Week Sustainable?

Sheffield United 1 v Huddersfield Town 0 
The Championship 
Saturday 10 December 2022 
SUFC 2022/23 Game #35 

The Hypochondria

My name is Phil, I'm a Type II Diabetic.
Back on the scales. My BMI has held up "well' during the Gulab Jamun temptations in Pakistan at 24.7. I had an Almond Magnum on Friday. Otherwise, I have had no choccies, biccies, sweeties nor cakes since my last Blog.

For years, I have been recording my alcohol units on an App. It's a bit clunky. You manually put the size in (pint, 440, half, etc), and the abv. And the App keeps a log and fires stats at you. I've got a record for the last five and a quarter years. And, I always record. I never cheat. Because, well because I'd only be cheating myself.

My average over those years is 28.78 units per week. 33.91% of days have been alcohol free.

I'm going to walk you through the chart.

The initial big one day spike demonstrates that if I had kept drinking at that rate, I'd be at around ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY alcohol units per week. Love a challenge me. That was the day we won away at West Brom. I was subsequently kidnapped by my Baggie mates. If both teams remain in the same division next season, that unsustainable level of alcohol will be replicated - for one day only.

I got my latest blood sugar results a day or two after that. And began the latest "recalibration" to see where we are end-January.

The business ends of the chart are;

The Green Line - my self imposed target of 14 units per week.

The Red Line - my units per week averaged over 30 days. That has fallen nicely since that West Brom Wahoo. And is currently TEN.

The Yellow Line - my units per week averaged over 7 days. I got that below 14, and it has only spiked above that once. And is currently EIGHT.

Basically, day spikes below the Green 14 line are single pints. Day spikes above the Green 14 line are two pint days, like today.

The Beer

Following the Pakistan Beer Hunting - and I go back to Cask. In the Rutland Arms.

Abbeydale Brewery, Wishlist, Pale Ale on Cask at 4.2%

Sort of Christmas themed with that name I guess. A nice simple, straw pale. Maybe a bit underpowered in the citrus & hoppy department. But, a lovely easy drinker.

Pentrich Brewing Co (Derbyshire), Manic Parlour Games, Hazy Pale on Cask at 4.3%

One of the guys I was with is the Landlord of a CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed pub. He does not like beers that look like that. At all. Never serves this style in his gaff.

"If I can't see through it, it's not going on"

Hopped with Ekuanot, El Dorado and Mosaic hops. I loved it. Although it was between stools. Some soft pillow. But not enough to be pillowy. Some ooohhh here we go bitterness. But not enough to be bitter.

The Soccer

On balance. I was very, very happy with that. Sure, without the cushion of goals, Hudders were always likely to come at us in parts. And the easy joke was;

"Be one each this"

But, after this unprecedented World Cup break, I just didn't know how it was going to go. Superb ball from Ndiaye to Billy for the goal should keep everyone interested.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.




You can find me on Social Media
Twitter @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 
Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,183 games in 3,035 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment