Tuesday 20 December 2022

Beer Blog Toolkit

Wigan Athletic 1 v Sheffield United 2 
The Championship 
Monday 19 December 2022 
SUFC 2022/23 Game #36 

Here's something you need in your toolkit if you want to be taken seriously as a Beer Blogger - The Call Back. Because, we've been here before.

Taphouse
119 Market St, Atherton, Manchester

In September 2017 en route Bolton Wanderers. At that time, the Taphouse was newly opened. And, we just couldn't work it out. The Cask list was just the most uninspiring thing;

Pedigree
Bombardier
Jennings Cumberland
Marston's EPA

We didn't even bother with a bevy that year. So. This year. Trepidatious. But, we needn't have mithered. Five good 'uns on Cask. And an independent Craft Lager. (When I asked for a taste of that, she basically gave me half a pint).

Small World Beers (Huddersfield), Home From Holme, Pale Ale on Cask at 4%.

Smells very fresh. Some marmalade. Absolutely packed with flavour. Some of that marmalade survives. But, luckily for me, the dominant flavour is that growing bitterness. Not harsh. There is some peach swirling around an' all. Lovely beer.

First Chop Brewing Arm (Salford), DDH Citra|El Dorado, Hazy (gluten free) Pale on Cask at 4%

Rather uninspiring if I'm honest. I was expecting more oommpphh. Just a hint of Tizer. Bitterness goes nowhere.

Mallinsons (Huddersfield), Citra on Cask at 3.8%

Excellent, straight ahead Citra. Perfect at that abv. Meaning, quite gentle really. 

I thought that was an odd game. I'm not sure I can remember us being here before. Here being - looking rather ordinary, lacking attacking threat, in trouble at times, but getting wins over the line with some ease.

We didn't seem a threat at all down the right. Baldock not his usual marauding self (but failing to get a good cross in). That also meant him and "The Big Norwegian" couldn't get the triangles and runs to the byline off the whiteboard.

I also thought Foderingham was shaky at times. And, in the sit rep of getting games done when you're not at your best, that can't happen. Anyway. Four fucking away wins on the trot. Stat that up.

The Hypochondria

My name is Phil, I'm a Type II Diabetic. My BMI is 24.4. I've had an Aldi knock off Mini Magnum and a Salted Caramel Sponge Pudding with Ice Cream. Crucially, I have had no indiscriminate choccies, biccies or sweeties since my last Blog.

I average SEVEN units of alcohol per week over the past 7 days.
And, my 30 day average units of alcohol is EIGHT per week.
We're growing ready reckoners now. The weekly target is six pints (or less). Let's hope those fuckers who decide the fixtures remember that.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.




You can find me on Social Media
Twitter @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 
Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,184 games in 3,044 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment