Thursday 27 July 2023

What Has Dicko Done Wrong?

Wombwell Main (Step 7) 1 v Worsbrough Bridge Athletic (Step 6) 4 
Friendly 
Wednesday 26 July 2023 

Rotherham United 1 v Sheffield United 0 
Friendly 
Tuesday 25 July 2023 
SUFC 2023/24 Game #3 

Wombwell Main's Hough Lane ground, not one inch of fucking cover, in the pissing rain, is the 440th different ground tick I've watched football on.

Long, long ago I promised myself I would not complain about the trains. Simply because this is the train system and service The Big We decided we want. The Big We've got it, what The Big We wanted. And, now, The Big We are being told they don't want staff at stations.

"Phil, riddle me this. How do you know a train service is a train service?"

"Easy. Because people fucking work on it."

AnyRoadUp. I promised myself not to complain. I'll let the picture at the top of the Blog speak for itself.

In those circumstances, I couldn't risk a Hop Stop (say at Elsecar). Or I'd still fucking be there now. So, it was straight to the only plausible show in town.

The Horseshoe
30 High St, Wombwell, Barnsley S73 0AA

The Wombwell 'spoons.

Lymestone Brewery (Staffordshire), Stone Faced, Bitter on Cask at 4%

Nice, easy drinking beer. Not oversweet. Nice balance. Moreish.

I've blogged before about the end of last season shoot out in the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League. Swinton Athletic and Dodworth Miners Welfare going head-to-head, winner (Swinton) takes the title. In the shakedown, Wombwell Main finished second. But, I've also BlogSplained that it was fifth placed finishing, near neighbours Wombwell Town, who were promoted. Promoted through a combination of facilities & ambition. And here we are at the wet, but lovely, Hough Lane. No seats, no tin shed, no roof, very little hard standing, no floodlights. No chance of Step 6 grading.

As I made my way in, I was greeted by some of the (wider) Carrier Bag Firm sheltering from the rain in the dugout until the teams and staff came out. They declined the option of trying to shelter under the trees with me. They have done DETAILED analysis. And, they reckon you get wetter through the big drips off the leaves and branches, than you do just by fucking standing out in it!!!

Anyway, despite the scoreline, Main gave a very good account of themselves against the higher ranked Briggers. A frantic start, with Worsbrough scoring in the first minute. Then an equaliser on 8. Then Worsbrough went 2-1 on 11. Once it all settled down a bit, Main certainly had their chances. They hit a post. There were goalmouth scrambles. And kicked off the lines. And hit your own player else it'd have gone ins. But, two goals in the damp gloom of the second half killed it all off.

So, what have we learned from that run out at Rotherham. Well, firstly a question.

"What has George Dickinson done?"

(I think he was the only unused outfield sub. Everyone else getting a run.)

The approach is clear. In the first games, players get 45 minutes. In the next phase of games, players get 75 minutes. Derby County away & Stuttgart at home to go. There'll be more 90s and maybe, just maybe, an eleven close to that which will be shirting and booting against Palace.

In those circumstances, young players get on, and get a chance to show something. Unless you're George D.

Harrison Neal looked assured and confident. At times, he was doing the Quarterback Norwood role, even when Norwood was still on. Then, Harrison "conveniently clattered" Norwood to try to cement his place.

Don't forget about 'dre. It's a bit one dimensional. But, a left footed player, out on the right, and coming inside, has its merits.

And, four at the back KLAXON.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.




You can find me on Social Media
Twitter @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,289 games in 3,263 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment