Wednesday 31 January 2024

Oyster Cards & Incontinence Pants

Crystal Palace 3 v Sheffield United 2 
Premier League 
Tuesday 30 January 2024 
SUFC 2023/24 Game #43 

“Bring an Oyster Card and Incontinence Pants“

The Carrier Bag Firm cry went up.

Solidarity with ASLEF. Industrial Action on the trains in Sarf fucking London meant we'd have to be creative with our route to Selhurst Park.

Timetables were consulted. Opening times were consulted. Road closures and temporary traffic lights were consulted. Slowly, a CBF Bus Beer Crawl plan was hatched.

“Bring an Oyster Card and Incontinence Pants.”

The Victoria Line got us as far as Brixton.

Trinity Arms
45 Trinity Gardens, London SW9 8DR

One guest Cask. And Young's Ordinary and Young's Special as well. The only other punter in the pub was drinking pints of Ordinary and Special MIXED. He's not going to need an Oyster Card!!!

Three Brixton Brewery on Keg. I had their Low Voltage IPA at 4.3%

As we waited for our first bus of the day, one of the CBF remarked;

“There are more fucking buses here on Brixton Road than in the whole of West Yorkshire. I can see twelve.”

Another of our CBF colleagues “added” to the conversation.

“My own personal record is thirteen buses in view on Leyton High Road.”

We caught Bus #3 to;

The Florence
131 Dulwich Rd, London SE24 0NG

Which clearly caters for a wide clientele. There were Ladies a Lunching. Workers a WiFi-ing. Mums & Babies, including a bald ‘un (baby, not Mum) who was exceptionally amused by the kindred spirit Bagger Baldies.

And of course, the CBF a Bollocks Talking. There were two Cask on. The bar person was incredulous when I asked whether it was always the same two, or whether there was any rotation. Same two perennially it appears. 

Kegs from, Signature, Gypsy Hill, Brixton and Forest Road.

I had The Florence House Bitter at 4.1%.

We caught Bus #196 to;

Knowles Of Norwood
294, 296 Norwood Rd, Norwood, London SE27 9AF

What a find that was. (Note to Author - we don't “find” anywhere, we visit on the back of extensive research). Part of the Portobello Brewery “chain”. Cavernous place. Very welcoming. 

Two Portobello on Cask. Portobello Pilsner & Helles & a Pale on Keg. Hammerton, The Five Points, Flow, Gypsy Hill on Guest Kegs.

And, our first introduction to - Portobello Perks - £4 a pint all afts. It's Happy Hour Again and Again and Again.

I had Portobello Brewing Co. APA American Pale Ale at 5%.

Bus #432 to;

Westow House Pub & Hotel
79 Westow Hill, Norwood, London SE19 1TY

DIS-ASTER. One of the CBF had a Portobello V.E.S.P.A. Pale Ale on Keg in Knowles Of. She'd declared it deelish. And, it was on Portobello Perks here in the Westow House. I'll have that. I thought. I do not fucking know what's happened there. Completely different beer imho. The first one (the one I didn't fucking have) was opaque bordering hazy and flavour she bursting. This one (the one I did fucking have) was clear and insipid. In the debrief, there was mention of - recipe changed recently. Hopefully from mine to hers. Rather than v.v.!!!

What is it with me & Gypsy Hill Brewing? Years ago. On a mahooosive microbrewery trail after Millwall away. I was binned out of the Taproom BEFORE I could order a drink.

Our original plan had been, once we hit the Crystal Palace Triangle, the Carrier Bag Firm would degenerate into Every Person For Themselves. What with different beer requirements & timings for the ground. So, my individual preference was for;

The Douglas Fir
144 Anerley Rd, London SE20 8DL

Let's call it the Gypsy Hill Brewing Pub (rather than Taproom). This time, as I got to the bar, matey chirps.

“We've got a ticketed event starting in twenty minutes. If you buy a drink, I'm afraid I'll need you off the premises by then.”

Fuck Sake. What is it with me & Gypsy Hill Brewing?

I therefore didn't have time to count the beers, list the beers, photo the beers. I had time only to drink.

The Gypsy Hill Brewing Co. (Collab with Verdant), Inked, West Coast IPA on Keg at 7%.

Worthy Beer. Part of a Carbon Negative Collab Series. Brewed using Wild Farmed barley and recaptured and reused hops. 

Emphasising. Not carbon neutral. But Carbon NEGATIVE. No offsetting required.

One day, and one day soon, me & Gypsy Hill are going to get on the same page at the same time. Read about it on the Blog.

Great start to the game. With that Ben Brereton Diaz goal in just 20 seconds. But, it was all a bit disrupted from there. Despite going two one up. I “understand” Wilder will not tolerate poor performances. That is the narrative. Mad square pegs in holes of many different shapes substitutions. Conventional four. Or three and wide. How is that helping?

He'll be blaming the Transfer Window by the end of the week.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.


You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,373 games in 3,451 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment