Monday 8 July 2024

Alt(ernative) To Alt

England beat Switzerland 5-3 on Penalties 
1-1 on 90 minutes 
1-1 After Extra Time 
UEFA EUROs 2024 Quarter Final 
Saturday 6 July 2024 
Played at Düsseldorf 
England Away Game #159 
Ground Tick #494 
German Beer Ticks up to #133 

I've been “on that plot” before. 15 June 1988. England 1 v Netherlands 3. Called the Rheinstadion then. This ‘un comes up on The App/The Algorithm as the Merkur Spiel-Arena. As it was a complete move out, demolition & rebuild, ala Tottenham and “New” Wembley, The App has it as a New Ground Tick for me. Done to death, the argument about what counts and what doesn't. I went “with the algorithm” years ago. Welcome to England winning on my 494th ground.

While we're doing dates. And look backs. That was the Marco van Basten hat-trick game. I mean, I've seen ‘em all, I've seen Keith Edwards, but that was the best game I've ever seen a striker have. The Bastard.

26 June 1996. EURO ‘96. Semi Final. Germany put us out on Penalties at Wembley. I was at that one.

7 July 2021. EURO 2020. Semi Final. We beat Denmark at Wembley. I was at that one.

11 July 2018. I was looking forward to CS Maritimo v Sheffield United at the Estádio Municipal da Belavista the next day. But, I was also watching (on TV) Croatia dump England out of the Semi Final of the 2018 World Cup. I had a conditional ticket for the Final. And flights from Lisbon to Moscow on standby on the laptop.

So. Despite the van Basten throwback giving me the jitters, Wednesday in Dortmund will be my first tournament Semi Final abroad.

I've seen all the shite written on Social Media various about England's performance. And about how clueless Southgate is. I've nibbled a bit. But, this is my Blog. Nobody reads it. So I can say what I like. If you're in the stadium. At a EUROs Quarter Final. And you've squeezed on a Strassenbahn. And you've had your ticket activated by Bluetooth. And then scanned in by QR. And, you've found your seat. And managed to smilingly defend it against pusher inners. And you're surrounded by other fans. And you nod at a few. And use sign language to take the piss out of the ones you know.

You lose yourself in the moment. You're supposed to. Analysis. Tactics. xG. What. Do. I. Fucking. Care.

The Carrier Bag Firm had plotted a walking route back “towards the Dorf”. As we cracked on, we bumped into a Shuttle Bus. You know how it works…

“If you see a Shuttle Bus, you get on it.”

“Where's it going Phil?”

“It's going to a location I have not yet identified. Where we will locate a Bar I have not yet heard of, let alone visited.”

“And, in that bar, we will NOT dissect England's performance for one fucking moment.”

Verily….

Hitchcoq
Nordstraße 30, 40477 Düsseldorf

A fried chicken joint, serving Craft Beer. For, yay, that is how the Shuttle Bus Deity works.

“Would you like a table outside to watch the Netherlands Turkey game.”

“Nein Danke”

Schwarze Rose (Mainz), Afterlife, Hazy Pale Ale on Keg at 5.5%

Citra & Galaxy and glorious. #Alt Alt.

Schwarze Rose, Brewtiful, IPA on Keg at 6%

Mosaic, Ekuanot, Vic Secret.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.



You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,451 games in 3,609 days 



No comments:

Post a Comment