Wednesday 6 March 2024

The Two Evenings Of Wilder

Hallam 1 v Bottesford Town 2 
Northern Counties East Premier Division 
Tuesday 5 March 2024 

Sheffield United 0 v Arsenal 6 
Premier League 
Monday 4 March 2024 
SUFC 2023/24 Game #52 

Well. That was a rather bizarre two days.

On Monday. I be like…

“What the fuck are you doing now Wilder?”

As he brought on yet another makeshift defender or similar to switch back, yet again, to a conventional four or similar, for the third time in the game or similar.

On Tuesday. I be like…

“I dunno Chris, once you get to the knockouts in the EUROs every team wants to take it to Extra Time and Penalties.”

As Chris Wilder asked ME what I thought about England's chances in Germany. Because. Essentially. I've had a night out drinking with Chris.

Need to tread carefully. Don't want to betray confidences. Grass people up. Or make it difficult.

As part of a milestone Birthday celebration, one of the Carrier Bag Firm was match sponsor at Hallam tonight. You can guess the drill. Reserved table in the 1860 Bar. Beers for his half dozen guests. Free programmes. Sarnies, Rolls a la Sausage, tray of Chips, Kit Kats and Penguins. Tea & Coffee (nah, you're alright). Hallam official looking after us and making sure we have everything we need.

Anyway. Due to said CBF BirthDayee going back ages with Chris Wilder. Chris has pitched up to press his palms. Fair fucking play for that.

Because they are mates, the conversation was matey. Sky Sports News showed re-runs of the Arsenal goals.

“Can't you put EastEnders on?”

Once it'd been established I go to England games, the conversation turned to what I thought our chances were.

I mentioned Bukayo Saka. But, I think I got away with it!!!

AnyRoadUp. Not the time to ask…

“How the fuck have we managed to sign so and so?”

Wilder told a great story about his transition from professional footballer to labourer. Having “retired” and playing for Alfreton Town. And getting picked up the next morning at 0700 bells to go and put up Roof Rafters on a housing development near Meadowhall. Falling off ladders, lying in “shit”, with the rafter across his chest pinning him down. Going up to the gaffers on Friday tea. For one hundred and fifty. Cash in hand.

I didn't want him to catch me writing his exact words down. But you'll understand if I give the flavour.

“Fuck this for a game of soldiers.”

I found the whole two evenings of Wilder thing partly unsettling. And partly affirming. I've celebrated the times we were an “identity club”. With Wilder at the helm. But, I've also said we shouldn't have brought him back for this second go round. So, I'll admit I find it Sheffield United Amusing (™) that, having been brought in to turn things around just a little bit, he clearly can't turn them in any direction whatsoever.

I'm not a shouter and a bawler. But, I do sit there in the South Stand. Looking at the back of his head. And thinking - who? what? where? how? but mainly why?

Yet. Here I was. Passing him a Sausage Roll. Seeing him dressed as a Human has made me think on a bit. That's the affirmation.

You know what I find impressive about that Arsenal show? It's not the skill and quality of those short, sharp, pinpoint passes around the box. It's simply the fact that they're prepared to play them.

I mean. If he'd asked. How the fuck have we gone four, and narrow four at that. With Saka hugging their right. And prepared to come inside or outside. One on one. With Trusty. How the fuck?

I had a lovely time at Hallam. Stayed around our table in the 1860. Didn't see a ball kicked. As sponsors, we were choosing and presenting the Man of the Match. Initially, we were going to give it Hugo Warhurst irrespective. But, at the death we were told - no presentation tonight.

From the branded glasses, I deduce that they might be having Thornbridge on the bar “permanently” Tonight it was Thornbridge, Green Mountain, IPA on Keg at 4.3%. And many of them. That was where SALT Jute has been recently. SALT Loom was still on.

Chris was on fucking bottles of Moretti. Be lucky if he's invited back on that performance.

You can find ALL my previous Blogs at

Would you please consider subscribing (free) to have my Blog delivered to your email inbox (via Substack). Thank you.


You can find me on Social Media
X @ball_sup 
Untappd ball_sup 

Stats 
I have now Blogged from 1,390 games in 3,486 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment